Home Featured Articles AFIYA’S JOURNEY


written by Afiya July 22, 2019

My Pregnancy Journey…. Sighhhhhh

So I had been feeling unwell for a couple of weeks and my husband always said I felt warm. I was on a form of contraceptive and kept laughing that there was no way I was pregnant. I had even started a keto diet because I wanted to be slim and slaying and it was not even working. I got fed up and stopped. My husband was worried I may be having some hormonal imbalances due to the contraceptive so we decided to go see a gyaenacologist.

On the Friday night before we went to the doctor, I opened a bottle of red wine to drink as I love red wine so much but for some weird reason a little voice told me to wait until after I had seen the doctor. On that fine Saturday morning, we proceeded to the hospital. I told the doctor all that was wrong and he asked me to do some tests including a hormone profile and some scans. I was called in for my scan and the radiologist asked

Madam please are you pregnant?

“NO!!” I confidently answered. There was no way I could be.

“Have you missed your period?” he asked

“Yes and no” I responded.

This was because, I felt the contraceptives had delayed my period a bit.

“And have you done a pregnancy test?”

“No. There was no need to.”

“You people are not serious. Madam, you are 6 weeks pregnant!” he chuckled and said.

“Pardon?!!” I asked in disbelief.

My husband was very excited and thinking about all the endless possibilities that having a baby comes with. Mind you, I wasn’t sad. I was just a bit taken aback. And so life as we knew it was about to change.

They say having a baby changes everything which I must admit is quite true. My first trimester was quite difficult. I was always feeling unwell, vomiting, and barely had any appetite. It was beginning to affect me even at work. One of the most difficult times during my pregnancy was when I was diagnosed with Toxoplamosis.

I was sad for weeks, crying and questioning God. Why would he give me this blessing associated with this problem? And no, I don’t own any cats. In fact I hate cats!! Because of this diagnosis, my doctor was very worried about my baby’s eyes and brain. I had to do many more scans than usual just to make sure everything was ok because of the parasites.

One dawn, after about 4 weeks of constant crying, worrying and sadness, I decided that enough was enough. I woke my husband up, we said a prayer and I told God I was handing over the situation to Him, and that, that was the last time I was going to cry. Did I worry? Yes! But not once did I cry or doubt God after that. The medication to treat the disease was probably the worst medicine anyone could probably take. It made me sicker and sicker by the day. I vomited so much that sometimes I actually peed on myself. Initially, I was to take it daily, then later on it was reduced to weekly. Results showed that the Toxo hadn’t reduced by much after many weeks of taking the medicine. I took that medicine until I was 35 weeks pregnant!

Doctor was worried about my weight and had asked me to check my diet. He gave me 3 days off one time to rest, only to meet me that afternoon dancing in a queue at Burger King. We laughed about it and he asked me what I was doing and I told him I was going to watch a movie marathon as my husband was working and I would be bored at home by myself.

Third trimester! This is where all my pregnancy problems decided to hit me at a go! From pelvic pain to peeing all the time, to sleeping with 6 pillows just to get comfortable which didn’t even help to getting irritated by my husband’s ability to just fall asleep and be comfortable all night! The doctor became worried about my baby getting too heavy. He was already at the borderline of a big baby. At this point, I was just tired of being pregnant.I needed to just go into labor! I even tried to convince him to induce me to go into an early labor. I was booked for a cervical sweep hoping that it would kick-start my labor. My God, was it PAINFUL!! And at the end, the doctor advised us to have plenty of sex and do perineal massages to prevent the need for an episiotomy. I was also doing squats and kegels as well. At 39 weeks I had still not gone into labor despite all the measures we had put in place so my doctor booked me for induction of labor.

On the 29th of December, I reported to the labor ward for induction. At the appointed time, I was told baby’s pulse had gone too high for induction. I either had to go into spontaneous labor or have a caesarean section done if it did not resolve. I whispered a word of prayer to God.

“God no. No C/S”

In exactly 1 hour after that, at 3am on 30th December, my labor began!

Labor- Hmph! An experience on its own! After 10 hours, I was fully dilated and it was time to push. 25minutes later, at 1:25pm on 30th December 2018 my baby was born at a weight of 3.6kg!! All without an episiotomy. Hurraaaay!!! Our labor of love had come to fruition!

You may also like


Julia July 25, 2019 - 9:44 am

wow!! God is good. First time hearing a real story of a pregnant woman with Toxo. You and your family are blessed

Eno July 26, 2019 - 1:03 am

First time hearing it as well. God bless her

AFIBANS June 11, 2020 - 9:12 pm

Wowww….very insightful story. I really loved the part about leaving everything into God’s hands.

Eno June 14, 2020 - 11:44 pm

Glad you enjoyed reading


Leave a Comment